Thursday, March 11, 2010

03/11 Daily Commentary

Bull Trap? 
Stock market XMI high and close just above 1172, my stop level.  However, cash DJI did not exceed yesterday's peak.  Sometimes, before a decline, the market will run up to clean out the shorts just before turning down.
I will look for DJ March futures to exceed yesterday's high by 20 points. Yesterday's high was 10606 and currently at 10605.
Let me explain why I don't wait for confirmation before I enter my intial positions.  The following is SPX cash 15-minute 54-unit M/A.  Last Friday at the close was the sell signal via I1.  Notice the gap between price and M/A.  By giving an additional .56% beyond the M/A the difference between market and the flash point is Friday close - M/A - 6.4 = 1141 - 1128 - 6.4 = 19.4 S&P points that I would forego had I not established a small initial position. 

At the close today my stock shorts were 15% of capital, leaving plenty of room for the follow-on position(s) on break of support.  In the 2:30 post I discussed the compression around the 54-unit M/A and I did exit the SDS that I put on at entry of 32.40 and exit of 32.35, at DJI 10,580 which was the upper end of the channel, which I have discussed all day.  This left me with 15% exposure. Now the DJI and XMI are still trapped within their trading ranges until DJI exceeds it's old high in the cash market by .15% (this has worked for me many times in the past and I have avoided being stopped out for trivial insurance).  The futures markets are a bit friskier so I allow .20% beyond old highs/lows.  Thus I will sell any DJ March futures high beyond 10,626.

2 comments:

  1. today is no surprise. they ramped the market off the Fed Flow of Funds data. the market jumped at 3PM EST, exactly when the report was released.

    i am concerned about over night manipulation in the futures market because we all know how many stops are on the other side of 1150 (including mine).

    -erik

    ReplyDelete
  2. I much prefer using cash markets for stops. Futures are thinner overnight and allow for runs against stops. I always allow at least .15% in cash DJI then even 20 may not be enough to prevent it. But we must draw a line in the sand somewhere. I was set to pull the trigger at XMI 1172 even until I noticed the DJI hanging back. XMI never made it to 1173. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete